Poet, Translator and Educator
Ballad of a Happy Immigrant
Un Lugar Propio
100 Queer Poems
Un Nuevo Sol: British Latinx Writers
The Best New British and Irish Poets 2019-2020
100 Poems to Save the Earth
Why I Write Poetry
Ten: Poets of the New Generation
Island Are But Mountains
I am the first British- Latinx poet to be selected for the Complete Works Poetry, the national programme whose fellows have included Sarah Howe, Mona Arshi, Kayo Chingonyi and Warsan Shire among others.
I was the recipient of the Bart Wolffe Poetry Prize Award 2018 and the Keats-Shelley Prize 2019.
My debut collection in English 'Ballad of a Happy Immigrant' (Chatto & Windus) was selected by the Poetry Book Society as the Wild Card Choice for Summer 2021. My poetry was included in many anthologies, including '10: Poets of the New Generation' (Bloodaxe), 'Un Nuevo Sol: British Latinx Writers' (flipped eye) and 'The Best New British and Irish Poets Anthology 2019-2020' (BlackSpring Press).
I have also been published in POETRY, PN Review, The Poetry Review, Modern Poetry in Translation, The Manchester Review, The White Review, Ambit, The Morning Star, The Rialto, Magma Poetry, Letras Libres, Prism International and elsewhere.
I have given readings at a range of venues including Southbank Centre, the National Poetry Library, The Roundhouse, The Albany, The Bluecoat, The Poetry Cafe, Aldeburgh Festival, Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA), Unison, SOAS, Rich Mix and Lewisham Library.
Since 2021 I am a mentor on the Ledbury Poetry Critics scheme as part of the Centre for New and International Writing, University of Liverpool.
I was co-director of Invisible Presence, an Arts Council national scheme to nurture new voices of Latinx writers in the UK, and an advisory board member of the Poetry Translation Centre, where I have run workshops on contemporary Latin American poets. I have written poems commissioned by Royal Kew Gardens, the National Poetry Library, Bradford Literary Festival and La Linea Festival, among others.
My Spanish language publications have included 2 successful collections and inclusion in many Spanish anthologies.
I write in both Spanish and English (I have lived in the UK for over 20 years) and have developed different voices in each. I enjoy exploring multiple identities and the complexities of creative/cultural translations- as well as unexpected similarities in our multi-cultural society.
I also explore issues around gender, identity and politics in my poetry inspired by growing up in Buenos Aires as a young, gay man. My poetry also draws on my passion for visual art.
I was the first British Latinx writer in residence at a London school (St. Gabriel’s College) where 70% of the students are from the same background.
I am an experienced tutor and mentor and offer private lessons on Creative Writing, and Latin American Poetry and Literature.
- Wed, 24 NovCanterburyVictoria Field's Speech of Birds is a book of epiphany and rebirth. In The Blue Line Basque poet Beatriz Chivite Ezkieta imagines the lives of those she sees on the London Underground. Leo Boix' Ballad of a Happy Immigrant tells of being young, queer and Argentinian in England, and movingly evokes J
- Wed, 17 NovHebden BridgeIn this course, you will be encouraged to expand your repertoire of styles and approaches, experiment with the longer poem or sequence and enhance your writing and editing skills. Tutors: Mimi Khalvati and Katrina Naomi. Guest poet: Leo Boix
- Tue, 12 OctWebinarJoin us to celebrate Latinx Heritage Month with an exciting line-up of Latinx poets including Maia Elsner, Leo Boix and Andrés N. Ordorica, who will read from their new and upcoming collections. The event will explore notions of belonging, heritage and latinidad. The event will be hosted by Nathalie
- Sat, 09 OctCheltenhamJoin us as we Read The World, presenting the best new voices in fiction and poetry alongside the biggest names publishing books this autumn. Get inspired by our Schools and Family programme and discover lots of ideas for creating your own Festival at home or at school.
- Sun, 03 Octbit.ly/FLQELLive Poetry Reading - Poet Leo Boix reads from his collection of poems Ballad of a Happy Immigrant published by Chatto & Windus, Penguin
- Wed, 29 Septhttps://notredame.zoom.us/meeting/register/Please join the Creative Writing Program for a zoom event in partnership with Letras Latinas, the literary initiative at the Institute for Latino Studies. On the occasion of Hispanic Heritage Month, we are celebrating Ballad of a Happy Immigrant, the English-language debut by Leo Boix, who will also
- Sat, 25 SeptLondonThree poets give their all in an evening of exciting and compelling stand-up. Performance poet and songwriter Sophia Thakur author of 'Somebody Give This Pen a Heart' joins Latinx bilingual poet Leo Boix and prize winning poet Kayo Chingonyi. Boix’s debut collection of poems 'Ballad of a Happy Immig
- Sat, 14 AugSinging The Doors OpenPoet, playwright, critic and curator Dzifa Benson hosts a salon event with poets Raymond Antrobus and Leo Boix, both sparkling, thoughtful, engaging performers. Expect an hour of heartwarming and gorgeous readings, and informal discussion about the craft of poetry and the journeys of both poets.
- Tue, 27 JulGreater London
For any inquiries, please contact Leo Boix:
Tel: 0044 7951 689 279 | @leoboix
Sign up to be the first to know about new books, readings, workshops and much more!